Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"The best thing we Irish ever did was to send a few of us over to America. It's done a damn lot of good for tourism!"


Day 1
(Aug 4, 2009)

I had a rather uneventful journey from The States to Ireland.
I sipped a Bourbon before my flight, got moved to the aisle of an exit row (ah joyous legroom!) and made friend with my row mate, Maximilian. He was born in Belgium, raised in Madrid and now resides in Dubai. He works in tourism, is a long time vegetarian and was endlessly helpful. He has been traveling himself for about two months. At the airport he helped me with my baggage and made sure I was on my way to my hotel safely.

My cab driver was a pleasure. he got me acquainted with the city and gave me my bearings on the way to the hotel. We chatted quite a lot and he gave me three compliments 1. 'You really did your homework before coming here Missy. I think you might know about Dublin more than I do!" 2. "I knew you were Irish the moment I saw you!" 3"You don't dress like an American. them with their mad colors. You'll be just fine here". Another good bit of advice was "If you feel lost wait till you hear an Irish accent and ask for help."

The Dylan Hotel, where I am staying, is quite posh.
There are only 28 rooms and upon arrival you are treated like a total VIP.
I sat while paperwork was brought to me. I was given an in depth tour of the hotel and my room in particular and the free (and not so free) amenities were pointed out to me.

I set myself up, washed my face and crawled into the disgustingly comfortable "7th heaven" bed.
My two hour nap turned into a three hour nap and I got a bit behind schedule.
No worries though. I took a quick shower, gussied myself up and headed on my way.
I was given a map at the front desk, the tourist office and Grafton St. were pointed out to me and I was on my way.

It takes me about 15-20 minutes of brisk walking to get to the city center.
It's a very pleasant walk in a very safe neighborhood.
I get to pass by St. Stephen's Green and then I hit Grafton St. (the Molly Malone Statue is at one end and it's also the street where much of the action of Once takes place, if I am remembering correctly). Very lovely, lots of tourists. Not where I would choose to spend a great deal of time but it's a good place marker. it's easy to navigate your way around Trinity College and such from that point.

I made my way to the tourist office where a very honest civil servant said I needn't bother buying to too expensive Dublin Pass.

I decided to make my way to Trinity College. I wanted to take the guided walking tour combined with the entrance to "The Book of Kells". It only cost 10 euro and I figured it might be worth it. I got there just after the last tour began so I ran to catch up. My tour guide was a tall, skinny Irish boy with a mop of wavy blonde hair and sparkly blue eyes. He was dressed in shades of Grey and Blue. A very cool, vintage scholarly look. Collared shirt with a few buttons undone, a soft blue cardi and boot cut grey pants. Very nice. nicer still was his general charm and wit. After the first section of the tour he pulled me aside to ask where I was from and what I did. We got to chatting and at the end of the tour chatted a bit more. He recently finished his History studies at Trinity and is moving on to "Bell Paree" as he called it in the fall to take a French Language course. We got on quite well so, I gave him my card, letting him know when I'd be in Ireland. He realized I was about to miss the Book of Kells so we both went on our merry way.

The Book of Kells was interesting but not really worth the price of admission in my opinion. I am glad I went on the tour though. I learned quite a bit about Trinity and hear some interesting and silly anecdotes. I also learned there is a Beckett show on at the theatre on campus. I might try to see it tomorrow evening!

I love that I am already making friends on this trip! People have been kind and I am not being naive in my trust of them.
It's nice, when traveling alone, to have someone to smile at or chat with or whatever.

Tonight, I am supposed to be meeting up with my friend Greg. I can't reach him on his mobile though so let's keep our fingers crossed shall we...?

Tomorrow I go to Glendalough and Wicklow known as the garden of Ireland. I am being taken on a tour by Joe, the Australian bloke who runs Walkabout Wicklow. I think it will be a grand time. I must remember to bring a sack lunch!

Tata for now!

(the photo above in a flower seller on Grafton St. They are everywhere and I saw so many people carrying big, beautiful bouquets of flowers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment