Saturday, August 8, 2009

Losing track of time a wee bit...


So yesterday was my last day in Dublin (for right now) and I didn't quite know what to expect.

I went out in search of the best Vegetarian food in Dublin. Went into Cornucopia on Wicklow and was not disappointed.
It is a tiny little spot with a really chill manager named Phil who is super dedicated to what he does.
The breakfast I got was so yummy and super hearty. I couldn't even finish it!

After breakfast I headed to The National library on Greg's suggestion.
On the way there I finally found Hodges Figgis! I bought a Colm Toibin novel called The Master and a collection of Yeats poetry.

Once at the National Library I saw wonderful exhibit on Yeats. I found the stuff about The Abbey Theatre especially interesting.

After the exhibit I saw a short Yeats's play. I had never read nor seen any of his theatrical work and I found it quite interesting. It utilized a lot of mask and movement work. I'd like to look deeper into his other theatrical writings.

I went to The National Museum and The National gallery.
Both were sort of underwhelming so I didn't waste much time there.
Walked for a bit in Merrion Square and saw the Oscar Wilde memorial.
Went back to the hotel, intended to pack, did not and then went to read in The Iveagh Garden. It is really quite lovely and set back away from everything a bit.

Next up for me was dinner with Aoife.
We went to a brilliant place called Gruel.
I had Brie stuffed Risotto Balls.
Totally killer. The place itself had a very homey vibe and the staff was super friendly and cool.

We went on from there to meet up with Dave (or Dublin Dave as I fondly refer to him) to see Brendan Behan's "The Hostage".
I was so excited to see it. I had done research about what was playing in Dublin before I ever left the states and I knew this is the one I didn't want to miss.
It was a sight specific show being done at the Patrick Pearse House.
The cast consisted of I think about 13 actors.
They all did a really amazing job.
I was totally sucked in and entertained and devastated by so many things.
I was especially impressed by the man playing Leslie.
He was so committed and interesting and I felt this total connection to him the whole show.

After the show was over I introduced myself and he said he could tell I was really genuinely enjoying myself which was nice to hear.
After, Aoife, Dave and I all went to O'Neill's for a pint with all the cast and crew.
I met the woman who runs this company, Wonderland Productions.
I think the work they are doing is really brilliant. I'd love to bring them to NYC to work with The Vagabonds! I also met most of the other actors. They are a really fun and sweet lot in addition to be supremely talented.
Once we were all properly introduced and settled in my new friend, Noel who played Leslie, and I got to talking.
It turns out he is a very special guy and we got on so very well.
(I think we really bonded over our matching scars on our noses...)
It's really amazing when you meet someone and there is just this true and immediate understanding and appreciation. It doesn't happen too often so I really treasure it when it does.


Needless to say I was out until all hours of the morning with my new, true blue, friends.
I basically went back to my hotel for a few minutes, packed and left.
Dublin airport was a madhouse but I did indeed make my flight on time.
I had a whole row to myself so I just sprawled out and slept for a solid hour...

We'll get to the Paris part of my trip soon but just to wrap up Dublin...

Being in Dublin made me feel so lucky.
I met so many new, warm, interesting people.
The country is stunningly beautiful, full of history and ghosts and tragedy and romance... I could go one and on and on...
That is why I have decided to go back and spend the last 4 days of my trip there.
I feel at home there.
Paris will always hold a special place in my heart and NYC is home but Dublin is something else. Ireland in general holds some sort of deep spiritual resonance for me.
I am very much looking forward to meeting my extended family in Sligo later this month and then finishing up this smashing trip with my new friends and my new adopted city of Dublin.

(Side note, a reader mentioned that they really like the way I describe men's eyes. Eyes are so telling in people. I think it's odd that I haven't dedicated any time to describing a gal's peepers...Let me talk about Aoife's lovely eyes for a moment... Her eyes literally smile, all the time. I know it sounds corny but it's true. She is a whip smart girl and not at all silly or goofy. But, she is funny and light hearted and totally kind and honest. You see all of this in her shimmering eyes and her face transforming smile. She really put me at ease right away and I feel that I have made a life long friend.

To describe yet another pair of eyes I'll mention Noal's. They are very intense without being self consciously so. I think the intensity comes from the way he seems to be always searching for something true. It can be difficult to look into eyes like that but quite exciting too. I think that is why his performance was so striking. His eyes told everything. And they subtly shifted with the physical and emotional change his character was going through.)

The above picture was taken by Dublin Dave outside of The Patrick Pearse House. It was intermission for "The Hostage" and we were drinking good tea out of real china! Yay! And, please take note of those smiling eyes on Aoife :-)

1 comment:

  1. You make me hungry every time...haha

    Also, there is a song...it's about Ireland...and eyes...I think you'd like it. They mention smiling in it, or something.

    (Ok, I am being sassy, sorry) Keep up the great work here, I love it. I am right there with you, it seems. xo

    ReplyDelete