Wednesday, August 5, 2009

'Why yes, the sheep here in Ireland come with pink and green patches. Pink for the girls and green for the boys."


I am almost tempted not to blog right now.

Today was truly awe inspiring and I find it difficult to convey certain things.

This is about where I lost stamina last time I was in Europe.
Day 2 or 3.
You begin to get really immersed in being where you are, experiencing it fully and the last thing you want to do is try to write some slightly amusing entry about it.

regardless, I will share a few details.

I woke up at 7am and headed out for my walking tour of Wicklow and Glendalough.
Anyone who wants to tour these areas should go through the tour provider called Walkabout Wicklow. They are the only group who will actually take you on the 10km walk up into and over the mountains. It was amazing.

Our tour guide Joe was born and bred in Sydney Australia. He is however the son of Irish parents and married an Irish girl. There were 8 other people on the tour and I happened to be the only American.

The day was spectacular, fun and breathtaking.
I think I will let the pictures mostly talk for themselves.
I walked 10km, climbed 2,000ft, ate a takeaway sandwich on an ancient ruin, etc, etc.
The guide told me he was impressed at how fit I was. He said most young American women ;ook fit and then can barely make it up a hill whereas I looked fit and was the strongest hiker on the walk. Woohoo for appearing somewhat athletic!

When I returned home from the tour I walk (some more) back to my hotel, took a shower, charged my camera battery, tried to make contact with my various friends or friends of friends in Dublin and headed out into the night.

I grabbed a yummy dinner at Nude on Suffolk.
t was potato and chickpea stew served with mash. YUM!

Anyway, after the food I found mt way back to Trinity and saw "Krapp's Last Tape" by Beckett. It was very well done. he actor and director really played up the long silences. It was very intimate and organic. I was totally enthralled.

After the show I walked in MJ O'Neill's, told the barkeep that my uncle, grandfather and great grandfather were all named MJ O'Neill, got a few cents knocked off my Guinness because of it and wandered up the stairs. I was being called by the siren song of Irish musicians.

It was a trio of fun, gregarious and wonderfully talented men.
I stayed for their whole set, met some cool guys from LA, bought myself a whiskey and chatted with the fellas until we were all kicked out. In our chat we talked about NYC (one of the guys lived there for 9 years), they told me I sang very nicely and they made me do an Irish accent for them (so embarrassing!). They said it was very convincing but I didn't sound like a Dubliner so they gave me some tricks to make my accent harder sounding. They gave me some good tips on where to hear the best live music and get the best pints. I gave them my card and was on my merry way.

Walking home I snapped a few more pictures, listed to a band called Apollo's Thief play on Grafton, chatted with them a bit (turns out they have a show tomorrow night). and made it home.

My plans are all up in the air for tomorrow.
I will definitely go over my must do list and start attacking it in full force. I'll probably be "alone" for most of the day (I put alone in quotations because I have found that I have not been alone for more than a half hour in this city. Everyone is so friendly!). I may see The Rivals tomorrow not with Greg (or without if he can't make it). My friend (er friend of a friend) Aiofe is DJ'ing, might pop in for that, try to catch some more live music. Who knows what my day may hold!

Until later...

(Tonight the picture is from Glendalough. Wow is the only word...)

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying reading about your adventures, so keep it up!
    I am traveling (but not drinking) vicariously through you, so have a lovely, PG rated time...ha ha, mothers.

    ReplyDelete