Tuesday, August 18, 2009

half way

I am standing in CDG airport waiting for my easyjet flight to board.

I had a brilliant last few days in Paris with Granny.
We took our 14 hour trip to Normandy. Seeing the landing beaches and the bomb craters. thinking about the men who lost their lives and what they were fighting for made me very emotional.
It wasn't the most exciting trip I have ever taken (nor was the guide very pleasant) but I am glad I did it.
We met two very fun Irish/Italian couples from the Boston area. They were a hoot and a half!
I think I will make a very good older lady one day. I certainly get along with them well enough.

grandma and I had planned to go to The Hemingway Bar at The Ritz when we got home from Normandy but we were so exhausted that we both passed out and slept until about 10am the next day.

Yesterday we just took it easy. Late breakfast. Shopping and strolling on Blvd St. Michele. Sitting in the shade in the Luxembourg gardens. Eating an early dinner. It was lovely just watching the world go by.

We headed back to the hotel and got all dolled up for The Ritz.
It is oh so opulent there and it makes me want to become instantly affluent.
The Hemingway Bar is still my favorite bar in the world.
It was almost empty when we arrived at around 9pm on a Tuesday.
I had a cocktail called The Serendipity. it was fresh mint, apple juice, a drop of Calvados and it was topped with Champagne. Tres Bien! Granny got the Papa Doble. It was vodka, maraschino liquer, grapefruit juice and lime. Yum! Definitely worth the 30 euro each.
We sat and laughed and chatted for a long time. Took pictures in the halls and sitting room and even in the restroom!

We had a lovely time together.
I feel so grateful to have shared this part of my trip with Grandma Ann.
She is so funny and kind and I just love her so much!
I look forward to our next trip together!

Well, I am off to London!
Seeing Jude Law play Hamlet this afternoon. WOOHOO!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment