Monday, August 10, 2009

Ah, Paris...

Sorry I have left you all blogless the past few days.
As usually happens to me in Paris I have been go, go, go!

I arrived tired from my final evening in Dublin.
When I arrived at the hotel I was truly impressed.
It is in the shadow of The Pantheon on this stunning little alcove.
We have a room right at the front of the hotel and the views are gorgeous!

After a bit of freshening up Grandma and I headed out.
We hit the Pantheon and intended to see Notre Dame but Grandma tires easily and after the walk to notre Dame form The Pantheon she needed a rest.
We had cafe and fromage and a few sweets (my first crepe of the trip!) at this little cafe looking out onto the towers of the cathedral.
It was directly next to shakespeare and Company which is one of my favorite places on the planet.

I strolled along for a while and found myself in the Theater section, as usual.

I traced along the shelves with my fingers looking for an old book. I collect old books and I always have good luck finding something in Shakes and co.
To my delight I came across a 1st edition (1918( copy of a collection of J.M. Barrie plays.
Ever since to "The Wendy Complex" I have had a deep affection for Barry.
I am very pleased with my purchase.

After we finished at the bookstore we walked to "Les Deux Magots", a famous literary haunt that I have been wanting to get to for some time.
There were more locals than tourists which I always think is a good sign.

I had the "Les Deux Magots Salade" sans poullet and Granny had it sans oueff.
It was a delicious concoction of greens, raisins, eggs and curry sauce. Mmm.
I also had a class of Red Sancerre. It was dry and tasted of cherries. Lovely.

We then headed back to the hotel and slept like babies.

Yesterday we woke up and headed out for what would turn out to be a VERY long day.
We started with breakfast at a cafe just down the way from our hotel.
I had the "anglais" option which was a selection of breads with jam, butter, orange juice and coffee plus a delicious omlette and salade vert. the eggs were prepared perfectly!
Granny had the same sans oueff (I am sensing a theme here...)

We took the L'open tour bus. It's one of those hop on hop off deals and it made me insane.
I much prefer walking or the metro.
We went to The Louvre first. Saw the big three (mona, venus, and winged victory) and that was about it. The place is massive, not very well ventilated and Grandma was getting quite annoyed.
I do plan to go back to the museum and spend some decent time there one of these days...

We missed out on The Musee D'Orsay so we decided to move on to The Arc De Triomphe.
There was some sort of military ceremony going on which we got to see so that was pretty special.

From there we took the metro (I was so over the hop on hop off thing!) to The Eiffel Tower.
The lines were insane (although we got to skip the main line at the bottom because one of the workers felt bad that Grandma had to stand for so long. We got totally VIP treatment! hah!)

Once up there it was stunning, as would be expected. Much too crowded but really it didn't matter.
Grandma said she was happy she got to go to The Eiffel Tower before she died. (which I reminded her wouldn't happen for a VERY long time) Mission accomplished on my part.

We strolled down to Cafe Le Dome.
I had an amazing Croque Vegetarien and some less then stellar frites and a lovely 25cl's of cotes du rhone.

We cabbed it home and passed out exhausted from our 12 hour day.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh...this makes me happy, a sweet feeling washed over me while reading this.

    Also, I think Grandma does not like eggs...haha

    So much food and so many words that I didn't really know, but it still sounds good.

    By reading your blog, I am picturing everything, but in my mind, you are both smiling a lot and small like children...is that strange? I know it is probably not accurate, but I'm sticking with the visual anyway.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete