Friday, August 14, 2009

It's fun to be a short drive from so many other countries...

Two nights ago Granny and I got all "tres chic" and headed off to a night in Monaco.
We walked around the palace which was so stunning.
Wonderfully clean, peaceful. Very much like a fairy tale.
We learned a lot about The Grimaldi's and then went down to Monte Carlo for dinner.
It was not the best meal of my life but it was passing and we met a nice couple. They were Cuban American and very sweet.
The man was sort of like Ricky Ricardo. He called Grandma "Bella Nonna" and me, just plain "Bella". After dinner we walked around for a bit and then headed home.

Our tour guide for the evening was HYSTERICAL! She is originally from the north of China and moved to France 7 years ago after marrying her French husband.
She kept taking pictures of me and saying things like "I should have know you were an actress! That is why you are so pretty. I was thinking oh why is she so pretty!". Then she was obsessively taking pictures of me. Posed, candid, etc. She said I really knew how to 'make a picture". She had lots of historical info and plenty of gossip. She drove us by Sean Connery's house (Grandma was thrilled!), pointed out where Bill gates has a home, told us the kind of salary's housekeepers get ($500,000 a year!) and how much it is to rent an apartment on the Grand Prix Circuit during the race ($45,000 for 3 days!!!).

Yesterday we took an all day tour to Aix en Provence. It was a private tour and our guide was Leo, a native Nicoise. He was dapper and dressed all in white, gave great information etc.

Aix was wonderfully charming. We got to see where Cezanne died, saw a Cezanne and Picasso retrospective at the museum, had lunch (I had an amazing salad with watermelon and orange melon and yum, yum, yum! followed by a stewed peach concoction with the obligatory glass of Rose from Aix.)

We also stumbled across 'Rue de la Masse". Leo told me it is a very typically French last name, specific especially to the south of France. See! I told you I was French! In one of the cathedral's I saw a painting of the wedding of the last King of Provence. he had four daughters. I am actually reading a book about them at home so that was cool. Also, i discovered there is a St. Sarah! She was Mary the Virgin mother's attendant!

The only bump in the road was when Leo pulled me aside to ask me if I might join him for a drink later that evening. Flustered, I said I'd have to check with Grandma. His response was to tell me to eat dinner with her and then meet him later. Anytime. As late as I want... EW!

Anyway, after Aix we went to St. Maixime and saw Mary Magdalen's skull. It was sort of amazing.

After a long drive home Granny and I went out for a relaxing dinner in the heart of Old Nice. We listened to some fun musicians. I think they were called 'The Basketeers" and had some glace and went home.

Today, we took a trip to Ventimiglia in Italy. We went to the market. It was a mad house. I'd like to see Italy some other time. I feel this wasn't a fair representation of the country.
I had a yummy sandwich of roasted a veggies and olive oil and an espresso so all was not wasted. I also bough some gifts :-)

After Ventimiglia we went to Menton right over the border in France. It is right on the sea and is surrounded by mountains. it is much more charming than Nice and I think I'd like to stay there next time I arrive in the south of France.

Until then, I will sit on the beach, walk up to the Chateau and look at more apartment prices in the newspaper :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment