Sunday, August 16, 2009

I haven't even been away for two weeks yet?

Well, we did in fact sit on the beach for the rest of the evening in Nice.
Instead of going to Opera Plage we went to Castel.
Much better!
Nicer beach, nicer chairs, nicer waiters, nicer looking clientele, etc etc etc...

We stayed there until about 7pm. Tanning, sipping pastis, nibbling on panini, flirting with waiters, splashing in the crystal blue water... twas paradise and we hated to leave.
We discussed the possibility of staying a few more days but we had a hotel and a flight to Paris waiting for us in the morning.

We took the elevator up to Chateau Nice. It was beautiful. We watched the sun dipping in the sky with the waterfall flowing in the background.

We then showered and headed out for dinner, a stroll in the old city and a search for Socca.
We did not get Socca but we did have a lovely dinner. Although Grandma was very surprised when her Gnocchi came covered in beef gravy. She was a sport about it though.

The next morning, bright and early, we were off for Paris.
We are staying at L'Hotel Design Sorbonne, right around the corner from our first hotel and directly across for The Sorbonne.
The design aesthetic here is much more modern and I like it! Very young and chic.
We headed out after showers to Musee D'Orsay. it did not disappoint and Grandma really enjoyed it. She (as well as I) loves the impressionists. I was particularly taken but the naturalists this time around. We saw almost the whole museum in just under 3 hours. Much more manageable than the Louvre.

After the Musee we went (via taxi, due to metro refurbishments on the line we needed) to Sacre Couer. We got there about 15 minutes into mass so we stayed. It was a very special experience.
After mass I found St. Michael's Chapel (which is almost totally dedicated to St. Joan's story) and said a prayer. We left the Basilica and went to the French version of a diner. The food was fairly awful (I had a crepe avec fromage, tomate and a fried oeuf) but the view of Sacre Couer was stellar!

We then went in search on the hilly streets of Montmarte for Au Lapin Agile.
After a very valiant effort of Grandma's behalf we stopped at a hotel and called a cab.
Arriving at Au Lapin Agile was magic. We drove along Rue Lepic (one of the oldest streets in Paris) to get there. The cabaret itself is located in this charming old house at the top of an old street. You walk in to a little, dimly lit room with many sorts of artwork hanging on the walls. The singers sit at a big table in the middle of a room and sing together, alone, they make you sing a long, they each have their own solo sections where all the other singers clear out of the room. You are handed a glass of cherry wine and everything is sung and said in French but it doesn't matter. the history of the cabaret (it's been around since the 1860's I believe) and the magic of the performers explained everything. I can't really put it into words but it transported me. I wanted to cry. It felt so genuine and there was so much hearts. Some of the singers have been there since the 40's. I really suggest you go and see a performance if you can. 24 euro gets you one drink and all the French folk music you could ever wants (along with love songs, drinking songs and classic like La Vie En Rose, etc). I plan to go back as soon as humanly possible.

Today, Granny and I went to Versailles after sleeping in and a late breakfast.
it was terribly hot and crowded, we didn't get to see Marie Antoinette's Estate and I didn't get my orange juice but it was still beautiful and magical.
While at Versailles, right when I was starting to get cranky and moody, I got a phone call that made me smile for some hours after. So thank you to the fellow that provided me with happy thoughts. You know who you are :-)

We walked (see also, trudged) back towards the train station.
We were famished so we stopped at an Italian/French place.
The food was awful.
My "Risotto" tasted like white rice boiled in heavy cream. GAG! But the atmosphere was fine and the young man who was the night manager was a doll.
He is DYING to go to NYC and was very excited to meet a real New York actress.
I gave him my card 9I have been giving it out to lots of fun people on this trip!) and told him I'd take him for a cafe and point him to some fun spots if he ever makes it to The Grande Pomme.

After our RER/Metro trip back to The Latin Quarter we got a drink (Pastis for me a Coca Lite for Granny) and watched the city go by.

We are home now and I need to shower.
We are waking up at 6am four a 14 hours tour of Normandy.
Grandma is VERY excited. I think it should be very special...

No comments:

Post a Comment