Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Saying Goodbye


I don't officially leave the country until Monday but I am leaving our fair city tomorrow night after a Brooklyn Cyclones game.

I have been saying my goodbye's in a very laid back way. It's not like I will be gone forever. It will only be a month. And, let's face it, there are some of you out there who live less than 20 blocks away from me whom I have not seen in about three months so really... no drama needed.

I had dinner tonight with someone I hold very dear to my heart.
He gave me great advice. He said "Don't let anyone hijack your trip".

I think this is really smart advice because while I am technically "travelling alone" a lot of my vacation will be spent with friends, family, extended family, etc. And while it will be glorious to see them and travel with them and get their insight on the many destinations that lie ahead... it will still be vital for me to experience things my way. To truly have my trip. It costs a lot to travel around Europe and I damned well better have the experience I want while I am there!

This fella advised that I go back to Paris alone for a few days. Or, to follow that urge to spend a few days alone in Champagne or surfing in Ireland. He thinks it will be very important for me to have that unplanned, alone time. He said to "welcome the curve balls" and to throw a few curve balls myself. I think I am going to take his advice.

So, goodbye New York.

I leave you as a 23 year old woman who has only begun to scratch the surface of solo travel.
Hopefully, I will return to you a more wordily, more open, more confident woman of 24.

(The photo being shared this evening is what I looked like in June of 2007. 21 years old. JKF airport. Never been to Europe. About to fly away with my best friend. Excited!)

No comments:

Post a Comment