Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hey Jude...

Yesterday I arrived in London.
I made my way to Earl's Court Mansions where Kara is living along with my dear friend Mark and a few other boarders. The home is owned by Mark's great aunt Lottie. I was not prepared for what a character she was going to be!

I arrived at the house and Mark welcomed me at the door. He showed me my room and took me into the kitchen where Lottie had a cup of tea waiting for me. She is this amazing woman. She is in her 80's. She's a painter and (I think this is the story) part of The Hapsburg family who lost all of their wealth during the 2nd world war. She is Austrian by birth but has the most beautiful, lyrical English accent. She is gentle and smart and a classic English lady, I think. She calls me things like "Sweetie" and "My love". I adore her.

I freshened up, rested a bit and then headed down into the tube with Mark. He introduced me to two of his musician friends on the way out of the house. They seemed very cool. Total hipsters but again without the NYC pretension.

Mark and I rode the tube and chatted away. We parted ways at Leicester Square and I met up with my dearest Kara!

We saw "Hamlet" at The Donmar west end. The theater was beautiful, our seats were great and the show was a massive success, with one or two exceptions (see Ophelia and Gertrude. Ugh, no heart, no commitment, totally insincere in every word and action they made.)
Jude... wow... just wow.
He is totally possessed by the character. Every syllable, blink, hand gesture, everything is purely belonging to his Hamlet. he handles the asides like no one I have ever seen. An amazing pace is kept up but everything is so brilliantly clear. He is a revelation on stage.

After the show we walked to this yummy vegan place. Oh man, the food was amazing. I can't even remember what I had except for the vegan shepherds pie. YUM!

We walked some more through Leicester Square, The West End, China Town, Covent Gardens, etc.

It was so lovely.
I am really liking London.

We then went out for a drink at the Troubadour with Mark,
Really great atmosphere. Jimi Hendrix etc used to play there.
And, I had a Pimm's Cup. Um, why have I never had one of these before???
They are AMAZING!

Kara and I went to sleep early. She is now off at work and I am getting ready for the day. Might take a walk with Mark (Abbey Road anyone?), might wander alone and then I am meeting up with Kara this afternoon to see the pre Raphaelite exhibit and to have dinner at Brick Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment