Tuesday, September 1, 2009

London continued

Friday - Kara and I woke up, took showers and went out to do our wash. We picked up some Starbucks and headed to The Old Brompton Cemetery for a walk. It is a beautiful old place. Some of the graves are totally overgrown with ivy and look spooky but mostly I felt a sense of peace. The oddest thing about the place is the massive, modern football pitch and stadium looming in the background. We also encountered some massively bold squirrels. Kara thought they were going to jump on our head but I knew we'd be just fine.

After that we headed towards Tower Bridge. Kara was working promotions for a sweet little tea place called Tea Pod. We stopped in early for a lovely lunch. I had cream tea and Kara had this amazing mint and pea soup. Yum! She headed off to work and I went to tour The Tower of London. Was quite surreal to be there. Got a fairly informative tour from one of the Beefeaters. They live on the grounds of the tower which I never knew. I saw the crown jewels, etc and I enjoyed myself.

Kara came and found me after work and we ate at Waggamama. Anyone from NYC who hasn't been there, it's like Republic in Union Square only yummier! Dinner ended and we headed to the hi light of the day... The Globe Theatre! We were seeing Troilus and Cressida. Neither of us had ever seen it performed so we were quite excited. We lined up early and got to stand directly at the stage's edge. While the acting was uneven in spots (the Cressida, Agamemnon, and Ulysses were phenomenal!) the entire vibe of being there was magic. I was totally enthralled the whole time and the music was wildly enchanting. After the show we got drinks at The Swan, the bar at the theater, and saw all of the actors. It was a perfect London evening and it just made me want to spend more and more time in that city.

No comments:

Post a Comment