Sunday, September 13, 2009

Last Day in London...

and oh what a day it was!

I woke up after Kara left for work and took a shower.
When Mark woke up we started discussing the recording we were going to do.
Originally he was only going to record me singing scales on a few different vowels for use in possible future recordings but the night before I had sat up listening to his demo on loop and started writing away.
I came up with two skeletons of a song and one that felt really complete.

Tiphaine popped her head in and said she'd like to warm up with me so we did.
It was lovely but in the middle of warming up I realized how truly unpracticed and out of shape my voice was.

After warm ups I donned the headphones and started singing my scales. It was an odd feeling. With the phones on, singing one extended tone at a time it felt like my voice wasn't a voice at all, wasn't even coming from me. It was scary at first and I didn't feel very confident but Mark gave me encouragement and adjustment when needed.
When the scales were done I just sort of plopped on the couch. Mark asked which track I had been listening to when I was inspired to write the lyrics. From there he played the song on loop and I started trying out bits of melody. After a few times through I had a pretty solid melody and structure going and Mark had added some additional stuff to the track. We then recorded a few takes. It was terrifying and exhilarating and difficult and wonderful all at once.

The recording session was really a gift. I have been inspired to write again, to sing again, to take care of my voice again. Mark and I will most likely continue to collaborate musically (along with a million other things but that is for a later post...) We ended our session with a great, big hug and a few inspiring words :-)

Let me say something about Mark...
When I met him I immediately liked him. In fact when I first spoke to him on the phone for less than five minutes I liked him. We are very much alike in all of the good and bad ways. But mostly Mark brings out honesty, creativity, ease, happiness and all the good things in me. He has become so immensely important to me over the past month or so and I am so amazingly grateful to have him in my life. When I finally get to writing about the states again you will more fully understand why and how he has become so much more a a part of so many facets of my life.


Kara returned from work and we had linner (lunch/dinner) @ Troubadour. It was very tasty! Kara and the cute Hungarian waiter encouraged me to order Bannoffee Pie. It is this absurdly rich concoction of cream, bananas, toffee and graham cracker crust. I am not one to be dainty about food but I definitely could not finish it!

When the meal was complete we headed back home to get ready for the Bad Ass Mo'Tash party!
Mo'Tash is a charity that raises money and awareness for Testicular Cancer. My friend Mark and some of his friends have put together this non profit PR company that supports charities, garners interest and support amongst young professionals in all fields and comes up with creative ideas to fundraise. I would personally like to start a branch of this group in NYC...

Anyway, the party was at Movida and it was a blast.
Kara, Tiphaine and I got all dolled up and hopped the tube.
On the elevator we took note of a handsome man.
When we arrived at the party we made our donations and put on our fake 'tashs.
After getting our drinks I noticed that the handsome fella from the tube was at the party.
I figured I had to mention to him that we had seen him and when I did he smiled and said he thought he had seen us too.
He then walked back to his table of friends. There was a brief moment of pointing and discussion. Then Kara, Tiphaine and I were invited over. We started chatting away and having lots of fun. I met Clay (the aforementioned guy from the tube), Dave and Pete. Dave and I hit it off immediately. He is this very charming, funny, smart guy who reminds me very much of a long, lost Beatle. He is a musician and it turns out we both have our roots in Sligo. I think we really bonded over this fact. Pete is also a musician and a very nice guy. He has one of the coolest looks I have seen in a while. Sort of like Yeats or something. Old fashioned, sleek, bookish. I dig it.

We also met Michael, a German actor/musician who is ridiculously handsome and sweet , Michael who was an amazing dancer. He really killed it on the dance floor and this guy Andy. I don't remember what Andy does but he is tall, blonde, funny and very charming.
As a matter of fact we met a lot of people but I can't possibly remember them all! They were all so pretty and fun and lovely and charming. Damn those brits and their charm!

The one person who sticks out the most in my mind is Esme. She is this little red headed thing. She is absurdly smart and fun and kind. I would very much like her to visit NYC. I think I have a girl crush on her.

When the party ended the tubes had stopped running so Kara, Tiphaine and I took a double decker bus! Score!

In the morning I said goodbye to Kara, Lottie and Mark. Tiphaine sweetly rode the tube with me to the Gatwick Express. She is such a dear friend. She helped me carry my bags and told me how much it meant to her that we became close and told me, very genuinely that I now had a home and a family in London.

I am so thankful to Kara and Tiphaine and Mark and Lottie and the other ladies of Whetherby mansions for hosting em and making me feel so at home. I am amazed by the people I met. How open and interesteing they all were and how they really made such an effort to make me feel welcome. London holds a lot of possibility for me and I can see myself living happily there for at least a period of time.

I was desperately sad to leave but very excited about the prospect of finding my roots in Sligo and getting to see the few people in Dublin who had been on my mind since I left...

No comments:

Post a Comment